Selling a home takes time (although we don’t think it’ll take us more than 90 days) , and you likely want to do everything you can to ensure that the process is moving along according to schedule—especially if you’re moving on a deadline.
At the Shaffer Team, we’re dedicated to providing you with all of the information you need for a successful and speedy sale. Take a look at our timeline for selling, and give us a call when you’re ready to get on track!
You might think that the selling process only happens when you actually list your home—but that couldn’t be further from the truth! In fact, you’ll have to do a decent amount of prep work before you put your home on the market.
- 2+ months out: Find an agent. You want to look for someone who has experience in Central Ohio, as they can clue you in on market trends and give you a better idea of what your home might sell for.
- 6-8 weeks out: Want to make as much money as possible off of your sale? Then you’ll want your home to be looking its best! Take some time to make a few value-boosting improvements, from refinishing your hardwood floors to installing new hardware in your kitchen and bathrooms.
- 4-8 weeks out: Before your home hits the market, it’ll need to be priced correctly. We’ll make sure to carefully analyze local trends and take any upgrades or improvements in your home into account to find you the most accurate and competitive price possible.
- 4-1 weeks out: Buyers will be walking through your door any day now, so your home needs to be looking its best! Do a deep, deep clean of your space, and stage for success. If you want a few personalized staging tips, we can help you out!
The Selling Process
The next step in the timeline for selling? The actual selling process! The exact length of time this takes will depend on the buyers you get, but with our marketing strategies, we’ll make sure plenty of folks are strolling through your door.
- Marketing your home: In order to get the right Central Ohio buyers through your door, they’re going to need to know that your home is for sale in the first place. That’s where we come in. We’ll use our a wealth of resources, including online listing services, print advertising distribution, large social media followings, and even local agent networks, to make sure your home is effectively marketed.
- Show your home: Make sure your home is ready for buyers at any point in time—you never know when someone may request a showing!
- Negotiate and accept: Once you have a written offer, you can either negotiate the terms or accept. If you want certain terms included, like right of refusal if your buyer’s offer is contingent on selling their home or adding contingencies for closing dates, then we can help you negotiate them.
Closing on Your Home
You’re so close to the finish line! The closing process typically takes around 30 days, and most of the work is on the buyer’s side, but here’s what you’ll need to do.
- The Purchase Agreement: After an offer has been agreed upon and negotiations are finished, you and the buyer will sign a Purchase Agreement detailing the specific terms, conditions, and contingencies.
- Inspections: Buyers want to make sure your home isn’t hiding any surprises, so they’ll hire an inspector to sweep through the space looking for any issues, especially with the roof, basement, heating and cooling systems, structure, plumbing, and electrical.
- Escrow & closing time!: This is a paperwork-heavy step, but we’ll be there to help you through it all. It’ll be a lot of signing and a few one-time fees, but then the sale is finalized!
Find Your Timeline for Selling with the Shaffer Team
Selling takes time, but we’re here to ensure that the process goes as smoothly as possible. From pricing your home to helping you stage for success, we’ll be there to lend a hand and answer your questions, every step of the way.
Ready to make top dollar on your home sale? Just give us a call!